Distinguished Professor of Anthropology and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies and Faculty Advisor to the Chancellor, University of California, Davis
Suad Joseph is Distinguished Professor of Anthropology and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies and Faculty Advisor to the Chancellor at the University of California, Davis. She is the founding director of the Middle East/South Asia Studies program at UC Davis. Her research has focused on her native Lebanon, on the politicization of religion, on women in local communities, on women, family and state, and on questions of self, citizenship, and rights. Her current research is a long-term longitudinal study on how children in a village of Lebanon learn their notions of rights, responsibilities, and citizenship in the aftermath of the civil war. She is founder and facilitator of the Arab Families Working Group (AFWG). She is founder and first president of the Association for Middle East Women’s Studies (AMEWS) and co-founder of AMEW’s Journal for Middle East Women’s Studies (JMEWS) published by Indiana University Press. She is also founder and facilitator for the American University of Beirut, the American University in Cairo, the Lebanese American University, the University of California, and Birzeit University Collaborative Initiative. She was awarded the Distinguished Scholarly Public Service Award, the Graduate Mentor Award at UC Davis, and the Chancellor’s Award for Diversity and Community. She has received grants from the Ford Foundation, the International Development Research Center, the Population Council, the National Science Foundation, the Social Science Research Council/American Council of Learned Societies, and the Doha International Foundation for Family Studies and Development.
Research Project: Transnational Lebanese Families and Youth: Moveable Citizenship
- ENCYCLOPEDIA OF WOMEN AND ISLAMIC CULTURES. LEIDEN: BRILL.
- 2003 Volume I. Methodologies, Paradigms and Sources.
- 2005 Volume II. Family, Law, and Politics.
- 2006 Volume III. Family, Body, Sexualities, Health.
- 2007 Volume IV. Economics, Education, Mobility and Space.
- 2007 Volume V. Practices, Interpretations and Representations.
- 2007 Volume VI. Index and Supplement.
- 2010-2012 Supplements I, II, III, IV, EWIC Online
- Edited and Co-Edited Books
- 1999 Intimate Selving in Arab Families: Gender, Self and Identity. Suad Joseph, Ed., Syracuse: Syracuse University Press.
- 2000 Gender and Citizenship in the Middle East. Suad Joseph, Ed., Syracuse: Syracuse University Press.
- 2001 Gender and Power in the Middle East. Suad Joseph, Susan Slymovics, co-Eds, University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 2010 Framings: Rethinking Arab Family Projects.
Back to AFWG Core Group Members/ Lamis Abu Nahleh/ Ibrahim Elnur/ Hoda Elsadda/ Omnia El Shakry/ Barbara Lethem Ibrahim/ Penny Johnson/ Islah Jad/ Suad Joseph/ Ray Jureidini/Mona Khalaf/ Eileen Kuttab/ Jihad Makhoul/ Annelies Moors/ Nadine Naber/ Martina Rieker/ Zeina Zaatari