Associate Researcher, Institute of Women’s Studies and co-editor of the Institute’s Review of Women’s Studies, Birzeit University
Penny Johnson is an independent researcher and an associate researcher at the Institute of Women’s Studies at Birzeit University in Palestine where she is the co-editor of the Institute’s Annual Review of Women’s Studies. Her recent publications and research interests have focused on women’s narratives of the Palestinian present, wives and families of political prisoners, youth perceptions of proper and improper marriages and gender and the second Palestinian intifada.. She was a member of the first Palestinian National Commission for Poverty Eradication and is an associate editor of the Jerusalem Quarterly.
Research Project: Marriages and Movements: Weddings and Wars
- with Rita Giacaman. My Life is Prison: The Triple Captivity of Palestinian Wives and Mothers, forthcoming in Journal of Middle Eastern Womens Studies, 9:3 (autumn 2013)
- Introduction: Neither Homeland or Exile Are Words, in Seeking Palestine: New Palestinian Writing on Exile and Home, edited Penny Johnson and Raja Shehadeh. Delhi: Women. Unlimited, 2012, Northampton: Olive Branch Press/Interlink, 2013.
- Displacing Palestine: Palestinian Householding in an Era of Asymmetrical War, Politics and Gender 6:2, 2010.
- Unmarried in Palestine: Embodiment and (dis)Empowerment in the Lives of Single Palestinian Women, IDS Bulletin, Volume 41, Number 2, March 2010.
- What Rosemary Saw: Reflections on Palestinian Women as Tellers of the Palestinian Present, Journal of Palestine Studies, 152, Summer 2009.
Back to AFWG Core Group Members/ Lamis Abu Nahleh/ Ibrahim Elnur/ Hoda Elsadda/ Omnia El Shakry/ Barbara Lethem Ibrahim/ Penny Johnson/ Islah Jad/ Suad Joseph/ Ray Jureidini/ Mona Khalaf/ Eileen Kuttab/ Jihad Makhoul/ Annelies Moors/ Nadine Naber/ Martina Rieker/ Zeina Zaatari