Lamis Abu Nahleh
Associate Professor, Institute for Women’s Studies, Birzeit University
Lamis Abu Nahleh is an associate professor and researcher at Birzeit University in Palestine. She has conducted research on gender and education, the Palestinian family and household, and gender case studies in gender and various development sectors, including women’s micro-credit projects, community-based rehabilitation programs, gender integration into industrial schools, gender analysis and planning in the Palestinian National Authority, Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Empowerment in the Palestinian context, and “Honor Killing” in Palestine. She is also engaged in training activities in the area of gender policy analysis and planning, and in the planning and evaluations of gender integration and mainstreaming in development policies, plans and projects.
Research Project: Marriages and Movements: Weddings and Wars
- Honor Killing: Honor Crimes in Palestine from 2004-2006, published by Palestinian Non-Governmental Organization Against Domestic Violence Against Women (Al Muntada), Palestine, 2007. (Also available in Arabic)
- Six Families: Survival and Mobility in Times of Crisis in Living Palestine: Family, Survival, Resistance and Mobility under Occupation, edited by Lisa TarakiNY: Syracuse University Press, 2006. (Also now available in Arabic, published by Institute of Palestine Studies)
- Promoting the Status of Gender in The Community Based Rehabilitation Program in Palestine, a Working Paper, Jerusalem: Diakonia /NAD, March 2003.
- The Palestinian Ministry of Youth and Sports: A Case Study of Gender Integration, by Lamis Abu Nahleh, Islah Jad and Lisa Taraki, was published by Direction du Developpement et de la Cooperation (DDC) and Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), Regional Support Office for the Arab States Urban Management Programme, Cairo, Egypt: June 2000.
- Gender Planning, Vocational Education, and Technical Training (VETT) in Palestine, published by the World University Service (UK), September 1996. (Also published in Arabic.)
Back to AFWG Core Group Members/ Lamis Abu Nahleh/ Ibrahim Elnur/ Hoda Elsadda/ Omnia El Shakry/ Barbara Lethem Ibrahim/ Penny Johnson/ Islah Jad/ Suad Joseph/ Ray Jureidini/Mona Khalaf/ Eileen Kuttab/ Jihad Makhoul/ Annelies Moors/ Nadine Naber/ Martina Rieker/ Zeina Zaatari