Associate Professor, & Chair, Department of Health Promotion and Community Health, American University of Beirut
Jihad Makhoul is an associate professor and chair at the Department of Health Promotion and Community Health, at the Faculty of Health Sciences, American University of Beirut. Her research and publications have focused on war affected populations such as internal displaced families of the Lebanese civil war as well as border crossing refugee populations, such as Palestinian and Iraqi refugees. She is also interested in applications of research methodology, such as research ethics, qualitative research and community based research in the Arab Region.
Research Projects: Displaced Arab Families: Coping and Changes in post-war Beirut; Displaced Arab Families Coping and Changes: Iraqi Refugees in Lebanon; A Situation Analysis of Applied Research Ethics involving Human subjects in Lebanon and Qatar: challenges, dilemmas and implications for capacity building.
- Starting Over from scratch: youth social support and youth coping with internal displacement, In Family and Community Health,2011.
- “I felt that I was benefiting someone”: Youth as agents of change in a refugee community project, In Health Education Research, 2011.
- Developing a logic model for youth mental health: Participatory research with a refugee community in Beirut, In Health Policy and Planning,2001.
- Parental attitudes and perceptions towards their children’s participation in clinical research: a developing country perspective. In Medical Ethics, 2010.
- Development and validation of the Arab Youth Mental Health Scale In Community Mental Health Journal, 2010.
- Obtaining informed consent: observations from community research with refugee and impoverished youth, In Medical Ethics, 2009.
- Displaced Arab Families: mothers’ voices on living and coping in post-war Beirut, In Journal of Middle Eastern Women’s Studies, 2009.
- Violence: the Silent Determinant of Child Labor, Journal of Children and Poverty, 2004.
- An Ethnographic Study of the Consequences of Social and Structural Forces on Children: The Case of Two Low Income Beirut Suburbs, in Environment and Urbanization, 2003.
- A Structural Perspective on Poverty and Health Inequalities in Lebanon, Bulletin of the Royal Institute for Inter-Faith Studies, 2003
Back to AFWG Core Group Members/ Lamis Abu Nahleh/ Ibrahim Elnur/ Hoda Elsadda/ Omnia El Shakry/ Barbara Lethem Ibrahim/ Penny Johnson/ Islah Jad/ Suad Joseph/ Ray Jureidini/Mona Khalaf/ Eileen Kuttab/ Jihad Makhoul/ Annelies Moors/ Nadine Naber/ Martina Rieker/ Zeina Zaatari